Brisbane, Caboolture and Logan
Summary of Service
We support people with intellectual disabilities who are survivors of crime by providing free counselling, victim of crime support and support groups. These services are for women and men with intellectual disabilities who have been victims of crime or exploitation.
We provide training for professionals, families, carers and people with intellectual disabilities, with the goal of building knowledge and skills in our community in order to prevent violence, help people recover and assist people to have access to justice if that is their wish.
Programs and Initiatives
- Individual support and counselling.
- Support for survivors of violence and exploitation, families, services to understand rights and options, and help to access the justice system and other services.
- Therapeutic and education groups such as healthy relationships; s; mental well-being; protective behaviours; sexual violence; self esteem; sex education; sexuality; and social skills.
- Community education regarding the rights of people with disabilities to access and participate in organisations, policy reviews, disability services.
- Resource development.
- Training and professional development events for service providers in issues related to sexual violence prevention.
- Information, support and resources on issues about disability, sex, sex education,victim of crime support and counselling people with intellectual disabilities.
- Presentation of papers at conferences, seminars and workshops.
- Increased awareness through media and community development projects.
- One-off events – Reclaim the Night/ International Women’s Day activities; women’s health workshops and exhibitions.
- Opportunities for service users to participate in service development – historically through focus groups, speak-outs.
- Participation in government and non government initiatives/consultation which improve government policy and address the capacity of women and men with intellectual or learning disabilities to lead good lives
WWILD unfortunately does not offer emergency relief.
WWILD is an appointment only service.
Wheelchair accessible bathroom and counselling room on site.
Translating service available upon request.